Greetings

This blog is a record of the wine that I make and drink. Each flavour made and each bottle drunk will appear here. You may come to the conclusion that, on the whole, I should be drinking less.

Saturday 29 August 2020

Rose Petal & Orange Wine 2019 - First Bottle (5), 12th July 2020

When I bottled this wine earlier this week, Claire suggested that there were some wines for which I did not need to wait a year before drinking. This one, being delicious on bottling, was a prime example. I took it round to David & Liz's for a (garden) dinner party, and the wine was properly good: it was smooth, delicate (not something often said of my wines) and delightful. Everyone genuinely liked it - and none of Phil, Angie, David, Liz or Claire are shy of telling me when my wine is horrid.

It was a lovely evening, and only not-normal in that we all brought our own plates, glasses and eating implements, and we spent the entire time outdoors, which meant that the party was only broken up by the falling temperature.

Angie and Phil at the dinner party

If you want to see how I made this wine, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Ben,

    We have some updates for you, we left the final demibucket of Broom flower in it's demibucket until today and we are delighted to say that it didn't taste of plant barf! It tasted like a sweeter version of hoegarden but sweeter... I'm not sure if that's a good thing but I'm just thrilled that it didn't taste of a "plant just barfed and this is what it tasted like". We're making your Elderflower, rhubarb and mint later this week and have just made your orange and rose. It smells so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! What great news. Did the Broom Wine retain a coconutty taste? Broom always smells delightful, and strongly of coconut, but it is the picking it that has put me off. Have you seen that my Mixed Flower and Nettle wine has actually come out quite well - far better than last year's vintage of Magnolia Petal. I had been expecting it to be a Comedy Wine (one that is served only to make people pull ghastly faces), but actually it is really drinkable. I am busy collecting rose petals from the garden for the orange and rose later in the the year. Best of luck on the Elderflower, Rhubarb and Mint. My top tip for that one is, if you can, use spearmint. Peppermint is a bit toothpasty. I still think it works, but Claire is less keen.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete