Greetings

This blog is a record of the wine that I make and drink. Each flavour made and each bottle drunk will appear here. You may come to the conclusion that, on the whole, I should be drinking less.

Sunday 6 January 2013

Elderberry Wine - Fourth Bottle (B4), 1st-3rd January 2013

This was the first bottle of the year, and I only got two sips. I should point out that this was through choice. The dizziness that began on 27 December continues, though is lessening, and I want to see if avoiding alcohol helps. Obviously I hope it does not, and I have mad a doctor's appointment for Monday morning. My guess is some inner ear infection that is likely to clear up by itself.

Anyway, the two sips I got (one on Tuesday, one on Thursday) revealed a dry elderberry which is rather different from previous years, but pleasing.

Instead of drinking wine I had hot chocolate as compensation and started reading a fabulous book - Gossip from the Forest by Sara Maitland - which examines the history and cultural significance of both forests and fairy tales - each chapter ending with a tale retold.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ben have been reading your page in the home farmer magazine and thinking of doing a pineapple wine. What yeast do you use and where do you get it from. I've been online but there are so many different yeasts it's a bit daunting for a beginner. Thanks
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Steph - Thanks for getting in touch. I started my pineapple wine on Sunday, and will be blogging about it on Saturday. It is actually quite an easy one to start with - the preparation time is lower than most. As regards yeasts, I have never had a bad one (well, maybe once - but that was a long time ago), and just buy whatever the home brew shop is selling. For this pineapple, I am using a champagne yeast, though I can't remember the brand off hand. I shall put this in the blog. However, I have used a Gervin wine yeast before and that was fine. Most homebrew shops will do mail order if there isn't one anywhere near where you live. I get mine from Abbey Brew in Leeds, but only because that is where I live. Let me know how you get on, and if you need any help. Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ben

    I will watch out for your blog on pineapple wine.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete