Greetings

This blog is a record of the wine that I make and drink. Each flavour made and each bottle drunk will appear here. You may come to the conclusion that, on the whole, I should be drinking less.

Thursday 11 October 2012

Quince Wine - First Bottle (4), 7th October 2012

Now, before I start typing up my diary for the first bottle of Quince Wine, I should draw your attention to how to make it. If you click here, you will be taken to my instructions. The reason for this introduction is twofold:

1.  My page on 'Quince Wine - The Making Of ...' is by far my most popular blog post since I started, with only Rose Petal and Crab Apple being anywhere near.

2.  If you google 'Quince Wine' (and I have just this second tried this) currently I am the number one result. Which makes me feel quite giddy. I don't want this post to knock the 'Making Of' post off the top.

Anyway, here were my first impressions ...

There were many positive things about this wine. It certainly has the floral quince flavour that one might expect. It is clear and light and is an attractive colour. The walloping 'But' is that it is far too dry. To make it drinkable I have had to add a teaspoon of sugar syrup. And that makes it actively nice.

We have drunk the bottle to a Sunday roast dinner of chicken and the usual gubbins. What has made the meal remarkable is that I cooked it. Claire provided close instructions and gave me moral support, but otherwise it was my own doing. And because I am a man I shall probably go on about it endlessly.

3 comments:

  1. Cant wait for my:) http://dotolearn.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/making-quinces-wine-for-the-first-time
    At the end color is yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive self control to wait a year from starting it before drinking it! Yes, I should milk the whole Sunday roast thing for all it's worth Ben.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments. Yes, the colour is yellow, but a subtle shade. And Jerry - I nearly always try to wait a whole year before drinking the first bottle of any flavour, much to Claire's annoyance. The one flavour that I start to drink as soon as it is bottled is Crab Apple, which is best drunk young. Have I mentioned that I cooked the roast dinner last week?

    ReplyDelete