Greetings

This blog is a record of the wine that I make and drink. Each flavour made and each bottle drunk will appear here. You may come to the conclusion that, on the whole, I should be drinking less.

Sunday 12 February 2012

Elderberry wine - Bottle C4, 9th-10th February 2012

I really should give elderberry longer to mature. This bottle tasted young with a suggestion of metal. But it was what I fancied on a Thursday night. Claire had an unexpected evening in; her string quartet was cancelled because of icy roads, so the incentive to open a bottle was greater.

We finished it this evening to a meal of celery soup (I overdid the buying of celery for this month's experimental wine), olive bread and Yorkshire Blue cheese, all of which were satisfying. Half a bottle between two on a Friday night is really Not Enough, so I have supplemented it with a gin & tonic and small (though Claire would argue 'large') glass of port.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ben,

    My Elderberry this year tasted very light and slightly metallic...perhaps I shouldn't have opened it up so quickly either! I've just made a squash and ginger wine (that's the gourd not the fruit juice!) and am waiting until May to start on that - the anticipation is killing me! The carrot wine went down well at Christmas so that's another definite to make this year. Have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sensory Dragon. I often find a metallic taste to elderberry. Squash and ginger sounds good, but I would worry that it would come out like pumpkin - which gets my prize for all time worst wine. And I still haven't repeated carrot, so maybe I will do that in April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been busy enough from your recent post! Where do you fit it all?! in the house? or do you have a large shed in your garden where all the magic happens? Any suggestions for wine I can make from some spring flowers? I'm not going to be doing any wine until then and am wondering what the next one should be. I've heard that dandelion wine is good . I can't remember when they come out but I do remember having a lot in the garden last year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My demijohns, before racking, are in the bathroom. Post-racking, they are in the toilet - forming a corridor to the toilet itself. Which I think some people find eccentric. Can't think why.

    For spring flower wines, the only one I have done is Dandelion (which is the subject of one of my first ever blogs on this site) and I will taste that in April. Sometimes dandelion wine is good and sometimes it is not. If you have a stack load of cowslips on your land, then I hear that is good. Gorse is apparently nice, but I haven't made that either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right - dandelion it is then! I have a few cowslips in my borders but not enough I fear.

    ReplyDelete